What to do now
- Decide on time and place of funeral or memorial service. This can be done at the funeral home. Nardone's will assist you in determining the number of copies of the death certificates you will be needing and can order them for you.
- Gather obituary information including age, place of birth, occupation, church affiliation, college degrees, memberships held in club and organizations, military service, outstanding work, list of survivors in immediate family, and provide time and place of services. Nardone's will assist you in writing the obituary during your family arrangement conference and will submit it to the newspapers. Newspapers will accept a picture and it will be returned intact.
- Make a list of immediate family members, close friends and employer or business colleagues. Notify each by phone.
- Select pallbearers and notify the funeral home of these individuals.
- Plan for disposition of flowers subsequent to the funeral (family home, church, hospital or rest home)
- Prepare list of persons to receive acknowledgments of flowers, calls, etc. Send appropriate acknowledgments (can be written note, printed acknowledgments, or some of each). Include "thank you's" to those who have given their time as well. Nardone's will assist you with acknowledgement cards.
- Decide on appropriate memorial (in lieu of flowers, for example) to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, charity, scholarship, or school).
- Arrange for members of the family or close friends to take turns answering the door or phone, keeping careful record of calls.
- Consider special need of the household, such as cleaning, etc., which might be done by friends.
- Coordinate the supply of food for the next several days.
- Arrange for childcare, if necessary.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends.
- Prepare list of distant persons to be notified by phone, letter, and/or e-mail, and decide which to send to each.
- Locate the will and notify lawyer and executor.
- Check carefully all life and casualty insurance and death benefits, including Social Security, credit union, trade union, fraternal, and military. Check also on income for survivors from these sources.
- Nardone's will assist you with notifying insurance companies.
- If Social Security checks are automatic deposit, notify the bank of the death.
- Nardone's will prepare Social Security Form SSA 721, if requested. Check with Social Security to see if you are entitled to any other benefits or that the Social Security number is retired.
- Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due.
- If deceased was living alone, notify utilities and landlord and tell post office where to send mail.